Muscle Building Meal Planning – Customize Your Eating Plan To Build Muscle

By | January 1, 2014

meal-plan-1

Using a generic muscle building meal plan is not the right approach to succeed in getting a splendid muscular body. To get optimal muscle gains, it’s very important to customize your daily meal plan to fit your specific circumstances in the best way, such as your body type, lifestyle and personal preferences.

If someone said that they are training hard and eating right but not getting good muscle building results, it’s usually because their meal plan is not structured properly to fit their individual needs. Here are 3 of the top muscle building nutrition components that should be customized to your individual needs in order to succeed at building muscle.

The Calorie Surplus

To calculate the number of calories you need to consume daily to build muscle, you can use two different methods. First, you can find your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) which is done by using a formula that involves your basal metabolic rate and activity level. You’ll then create a calorie surplus by adding a certain amount of calories to this value. Secondly, you can calculate your muscle building calorie needs by multiplying your body weight by a number between 16 and 20.

You should never use a calorie surplus on the basis that it works for someone else. Your caloric intake must be individualized based on your specific calorie needs to gain muscle optimally without fat.

The Right Balance Of Your Macronutrients

After your total daily calories for building muscle is figured out, your next step is to find the optimal ratios of carbohydrate, protein, and fat that fit your needs best, as well as the right foods to get them from.

What you’ll be doing is dividing up your total calories in the desired proportions of the 3 macronutrients. Example 50% carbs/30% protein/20% fats. So if your total daily calories to build muscle is 3000 calories, you then simply divide that by 50%, 30%, and 20% respectively to know how many calories that’ll come from each macronutrient. After this is done you can then convert the calories into grams to measure your foods to hit these numbers.

The Number Of Meals Per Day

The number of meals you’ll eat per day to get your daily nutrition will depend on your personal preferences. Although there are different recommendations, there is no law that says how many meals per day is correct for losing fat. The important thing is getting your required amount of calories and macronutrients every day. Most people eat anywhere between 3-6 meals per day. You can choose whatever meal schedule works best for you.